Mike Edmonds has been in the advertising game for 40 years, including co-founding his own agency, Meerkats. He’s just published a book called Truth. Growth. Repeat: A Business Manual for Generation Why.
It’s all about authenticity and it’s a practical guide to help brands embrace their own truth.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast — for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- The consumer is now far more sophisticated and they will call you out when you’re inauthentic. What’s more, they have a platform to do it on, thanks to social media
- You need to understand your true purpose (or motive) for being in business. That can become your compass, to keep you on the right path
- People won’t buy from you just because you’re authentic; they will buy from you because of what happens when you run an authentically driven company
- True purpose opens markets.
On My Desk
- Mike recommended the Naked Brand video
- Sarah recommended an article called ‘Post-Authenticity and the Ironic Truths of Meme Culture’
- Nic recommended a courier app called Zoom2U
- James suggested an article called ‘What kind of person does Netflix Favourites think I am?’
Links you might need
- You can find Mike’s book here or read more here
- And we’re giving away a copy of Mike’s book. Just tweet @Brand_Newsroom saying you’d like a copy of the book. We’ll notify the winners next week.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic discussed career mentoring with Dr Helen Cripps, as part of our mini “mentoring season”.
And in this episode the team takes a look at business mentoring.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.