Today the Brand Newsroom team talk about the 9 little marketing things that annoy us – those niggling habits, practices or policies that just get in the way of a good customer experience.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Don’t just add someone to your newsletter list. Invite them
- Don’t add random strangers on LinkedIn
- If you’re giving a presentation, keep the audience engaged and don’t try to sell your product – because the audience switches off and you’ll lose them completely
- Don’t use automated telemarketing services
- Make sure people can easily unsubscribe from your email newsletter
- Don’t bombard new customers with dozens of emails filled with new offers the second they’ve subscribed or made a purchase. Reconnect with them on a more reasonable basis
- If you promise you’re going to contact someone or send through some information, make sure you actually do it
- Don’t take too long to get to the point in your content. This is especially prevalent in podcasts. Don’t spend 10 minutes chatting about your weekend up the top
- Get your copy edited and subedited by a professional. You don’t want to go to market with spelling errors, it’s sloppy and disrespectful.
On My Desk
- Sarah recommended Lumen5.
- Nic reminded everyone to take some time out to think (prompted by the fact he didn’t manage to think of a recommendation. Well, he is on holidays, after all)
- James recommended NPR’s How I Built This podcast.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently the team met Mike Edmonds to talk about his new marketing book, Truth. Growth. Repeat.
And in this episode they took a close look at career mentoring, with Dr Helen Cripps.
Like what you’ve heard?
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.