The rules about what makes a successful blog are changing. People want longer content. Video is more popular than ever. And more of us are paying for promotion and distribution. Today, Nic and Sarah look at what’s blogging best practice in 2018.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Longer blog content tends to perform better in search engines, and average word count numbers have increased in the last couple of years to around 1100 words
- Video is becoming more popular content on blogs
- Visuals, like photos and graphics, are important because they break up the text and keep the brain more engaged
- Paid promotion/distribution for blog content has dramatically increased
- Blogging demonstrates a brand cares. By the time your customer calls you, they really want to work with you
- Blogging takes commitment and discipline, but it will generate business and encourage brand loyalty.
On My Desk
- Sarah’s recommendation was ‘How to Get Published in a Single Shot’
- Nic’s recommendation was to do a little bit of old-fashioned sponsorship. He’s sponsoring the Professional Speakers’ Association’s conference.
Links you might need
- Here is an Orbit Media article about trends in blogging.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James and Sarah discussed trust.
And in this episode the team looks at how much you’re worth (and why it’s time to stop giving away your talents for free).
Like what you’ve heard?
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah!