Only 41 per cent of us say we trust social media.
That’s according to Edelman’s Trust Barometer for Social Media, which was released recently.
Identity theft, fake news, cyberbullying, clickbait and hate speech have caused the slump in trust. Forty per cent of us have deleted at least one social platform in the past year.
The news is even worse for brands using social. That’s the topic of today’s podcast.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- 54% of us are uncomfortable with marketers tracking in-store purchases for marketing purposes
- Half of us think it’s a brand’s own fault if its advertising appears alongside hate speech and we think those views probably match the brand’s views
- 83% expect businesses to protect their personal data
- Here are the most effect ways brands can use social:
- Deliver customer service – 60%
- Introduce new products – 51%
- Advertise products – 45%
- Give people a chance to interact with the brand directly – 44%
- Consumers find direct conversations with brands far more effective (59%) than the messaging they hear in advertising (41%).
On My Desk
- Nic suggested the Boomerang app
- Sarah recommended an article by PR Warrior Trevor Young called Why company leaders need to be actively engaged on social channels
- James suggested a TED Talk called How autonomous flying taxis could change the way you travel.
Links you might need
- Here’s a link to Edelman’s Trust Barometer for Social Media.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic talked about good storytelling.
And in this episode James chats to the editor of the Guardian Australia, Lenore Taylor.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts. You can also listen to us on Alexa.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.