The BNR team lean on Sarah’s expertise for a bit of a masterclass on content strategy.
Whether you’re thinking about content marketing for the first time or you need to retrofit a strategy, or even if you haven’t reviewed your strategy for a while, there’ll be something for you in today’s discussion.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- A content marketing strategy and a plan are not the same thing
- Start with your business goal, not your marketing objective
- You need to find out whom your audience is, where they are, and what kind of content they want; if you start creating content without that knowledge you’ll be wasting your money
- Use tools like Google Scholar and Serpstat
- Get executive buy-in before you go ahead
- Know how you’re going to prove the success and value of your content
- A content marketing strategy won’t fix problems within your organisation
- Recognise that content marketing is a “slow burn” form of marketing and you need to build your audience
- Review your strategy regularly to make sure it’s up to date and relevant – especially if circumstances change.
On My Desk
- Nic recommended Seamless, by Anders Sorman-Nilsson
- Sarah recommended the Content Champion podcast episode in which she is a guest, ‘Does content marketing work?’
- James recommended the Netflix film, Calibre.
Links you might need
- Here’s a blog by Sarah on how to improve your content marketing strategy
- And a blog about content marketing research tools
- Here’s a blog about the things a content marketing strategy won’t fix.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic asked, do we still trust social media?
And in this episode (our 200th) they took a close look at what makes good storytelling for business.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts. You can now also listen on Alexa.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.