Only 1 in 4 marketers is confident they can quantify return-on-investment.
That’s not just digital advertising – that’s across traditional and trade advertising, too.
The figure comes from a recent study by Nielsen, The CMO Report, which also found three-quarters of marketers have no confidence they have the right technology in place to achieve their marketing goals.
So, what does it all mean? And what do we do about it?
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- When you look at business objectives, here’s what the marketers said were extremely or very important: customer acquisition 93%, brand awareness 81%, customer loyalty 76%, customer advocacy 68%, reducing customer turnover 60%
- The report said about the most effective digital channels: 69% said social media was extremely or very effective; 69% said search; 60% said mobile; 54% said programmatic
- Traditional media: 43% said TV was extremely or very effective; 21% said print; 19% said radio. Overall, 20% said they were very or extremely confident they could quantify ROI from traditional media
- When it comes to measuring ROI from Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc., a third of respondents were dissatisfied. Yet those platforms have pretty detailed analytics tools.
On My Desk
- Sarah recommended Jason Miller’s article, It’s time for the content marketing conversation to evolve
- Nic suggested Capture My Attention by Jordana Borensztajn
- James recommended the BBC’s podcast World Business Report.
Links you might need
- Here’s The CMO Report.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic discussed the state of email marketing in 2018.
And in this episode they discuss voice recognition technology with expert, Kath Blackham.
Like what you’ve heard?
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.