Every year Brand Newsroom host Nic Hayes runs a series of events, called Meet the Media, around Australia’s capital cities. It’s a fantastic concept that allows brands to meet journalists and editors from major media outlets and find out how they can work with them more effectively. Needless to say, it’s hugely popular. Today, Nic, James and Sarah discuss the take-outs from this year’s series.
Here are some key take-outs
Here are some key points about how brands should deal with the media if they want to be successful in getting coverage in mainstream media outlets:
- Don’t pitch the product or the service; pitch the story.
- You aren’t courting the media; it’s a transaction that’s taking place.
- Each journalist, producer, editor or presenter has a preferred channel of contact and content delivery.
- Do your research on your target media. Make sure you address the correct person and get their name and title right.
- Get straight to the point.
On My Desk
- Sarah recommended the podcast The Managing Editor Show.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic took a close look at marketing awards, and whether they’re worth entering.
And here’s a fascinating and really informative discussion about media intelligence (what we used to call “media monitoring”) and how it’s changing.
Like what you’ve heard?
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.