The gang talks about nostalgia and the power of reinventing the past and using it in the marketing of today. It’s everywhere at the moment and, interestingly, it seems to work particularly well with millennials. Why is nostalgia so powerful? And how do we harness it, even if we’re not a 50- or 100-year-old brand?
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
On My Desk
- Here’s the film The Founder Nic mentioned
- Here’s Sarah’s ad about the Dutch Masters exhibition
- And here’s the adorable Mentos campaign James mentioned.
Links you might need
- Here’s the TAB ad Nic mentioned
- This is the Coca Cola ad Sarah felt nostalgic about
- And here’s one of the PG Tips chimps ads James mentioned
- Here’s an article on nostalgia in marketing
- Nostalgia is particularly effective for talking to millennials.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently Sarah and Nic spoke to Bernadette Jiwa about rebranding.
And in this episode the team asked “is it time to try something new”.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah!