About half of us are using in-person events as a way to distribute our content, and it’s the fourth most effective way of getting our messages out there.
Joining James and Nic to explain some of the secrets to doing in-person events well is Tamara Cook, director of Known Associate Events.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast – for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating – covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Events should stimulate all five senses
- If you just focus on your event, you’re only reaching the people who are in the room. You need to look at your social media and your follow-up content, too
- Record the event so you can control the way it goes out to the market later. So have a videographer and photographer there
- Have your brand advocates in the room; they will help you spread your message. These people are different to influencers. If you’re having influencers at your event, make sure they connect with your brand
- You can have a tiny event and do it perfectly so it achieves your goals, then you make it huge by the way you market it
- Think carefully about the timing of your event. Know when your audience is available
- Reduce your costs (and find new markets) with sponsorship arrangements
- Use technology to be efficient, including when it comes to ticketing.
On My Desk
- Tamara recommended Jenna Kutcher
- Nic suggested leveraging your merchandising by getting brand advocates to take photos with it
- James recommended the BBC Business Daily’s podcast Booze Free Boom.
Links you might need
- Here’s where you’ll find Tamara.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic discussed the power of nostalgia in marketing.
And in this episode Nic and Sarah are joined by Bernadette Jiwa to talk about rebranding and storytelling.
Like what you’ve heard?
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.