The BNR team take a close look at Cision’s 2018 State of the Global Media Report.
Cision interviewed 1,355 journalists from all over the world to get their perceptions of how their industry is changing. They looked at everything from fake news and social media to PR.
Here’s what they found out, and what brands can do about it.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Unless the media is investigating you for a particular reason, they’re not looking at a brand’s social media posts or their blogs – they just don’t have the time and resources
- While the report suggests the press release is dead, Nic’s industry contacts are telling us they’re still incredibly important. You’ve got more of a chance of being published if you’ve sent it than if you haven’t
- What should brands be doing? Circumvent the media and create your own content. Don’t rely on the media as a third-party publisher
- The media’s relationship with public relations professionals is still incredibly important. And it’s a two-way relationship. The media needs PRs as much as the PRs need the media. These are relationships built on trust.
Links you might need
On My Desk
- Sarah recommended this rather worrying Search Engine Journal blog by Roger Montti, “Google’s New Algorithm Creates Original Articles from your Content”
- Nic suggested a great Media Stable blog by Emily Morgan called “5 Secret Behaviours of our Most Successful Experts”
- James recommended the Netflix series, Safe.
Have you heard the one about…
Tune in to this episode to hear some great insights from the You Are the Media Conference held in the UK last week.
And in this episode they took a close look at making LinkedIn work for business.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.