Jun 13, 2018
Brand Newsroom producer Dan Hatch joins James and Sarah to talk about a blog post he wrote called “How to think like a journalist when planning content”.
It’s a post that seems to have really struck a chord with people in the marketing space – whether they have a journalism background or not.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Journalists have to constantly come up with new ideas for content that their audience will love. You don’t have to be a journalist to be successful at this, but journos sure have finely honed skills in this area.
- Here are Dan’s original points:
- Is this of interest to our audience?
- Is this topical?
- What’s the hook?
- What’s the point we’re trying to get across?
- What’s the best way to tell this story?
- What are the facts?
- Have we provided enough evidence?
- Who is the expert voice?
- How can we explain this in the simplest way possible?
- Does it sound like we’re selling something?
- Can we tighten this up?
- Repurpose your content! Invest your time and thinking in the big pieces of content, then repurpose them down into smaller pieces.
On My Desk
- Sarah mentioned editorial traineeships at Fairfax Media
- Dan recommended Reni Eddo-Lodge’s podcast, About Race
- James suggested the Calm.
Links you might need
- Here’s Dan’s original blog post, “How to think like a journalist when you’re planning content”.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently James, Sarah and Nic were joined by Nick Eggleton to discuss a series of controversial opinions about the marketing and media industries.
And in this episode they took a close look at the state of the media in 2018.
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.