The team looks at mobile apps and asks, “do I need an app for my business?”
Joining James, Nic and Sarah to demystify a marketing platform that many businesses have probably never even thought of is Richard Giles, general manager and product director at West Australian app-specialist agency, Adapptor.
Brand Newsroom is a marketing podcast — for anyone who has a say in how companies are communicating — covering marketing, content marketing, public relations, media, branding and advertising.
Here are some key take-outs:
- Not every business needs an app; it comes down to where your customers are. If we were to generalise, it comes down to whether you have a mobile customer base
- Apps are great for geolocation, push notifications, AR, VR and other technologies that are changing marketing
- An app should do something for you that a website can’t or won’t do well
- Not all apps are client-facing; many are for use within an enterprise
- Make sure your app is fit for purpose and does one or two things only, but does them well
- There can be a lot of luck involved in creating a successful app, but you need to do all the usual marketing, around it
- Make sure you have a great relationship with your app developer so you can sit down with them and discuss ideas, potential changes and so on.
On My Desk
- Richard recommended Zwift
- Sarah recommended the Garden Answers plant identification app
- Nic recommended Layout for Instagram
- James recommended a TED Talk Daily episode called Why the future of the hospital will be in your own home.
Links you might need
- You’ll find Richard Giles and Adapptor here.
Have you heard the one about…
Recently Sarah spoke to Jay Acunzo about his new book, Break the Wheel.
And in this episode the team took a close look at the Content Marketing Institute’s 2019 B2B Benchmarks report.
Like what you’ve heard?
Please subscribe and leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Or subscribe on Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, Overcast, Pocket Casts or wherever you listen to your favourite marketing podcasts.
For more information about the show, visit the Brand Newsroom website, where you can join the Brand Newsroom Community and receive exclusive content and opportunities to meet James, Nic and Sarah.